Skills: editorial project management, editing (hard copy and electronic mark-up), proofreading, information compilation
Subjects: general non-fiction, ELT educational resources, directories/reference, diary/calendar information
Types of publication: general non-fiction books, online learning materials, directories, diaries
About me: After 18 years of working inhouse for reference publishers in London, including over a decade as Editor of Whitaker’s Almanack, I turned freelance in 1999. I have a broad background in non-fiction publishing, and specialise in managing projects requiring a range of publishing skills and/or co-ordination of multi-author input.
- managing the pre-press stages of print and digital content
- editing non-fiction for print and digital media
- editing educational material (including ELT workbooks, dictionaries etc. with interactive content) for digital media
- tagging the content and testing the functionality of e-learning products
- researching and updating material for reference titles
- compiling and proofreading calendar and directory information for diaries.
Regular clients include publishers such as Bloomsbury, Chambers, Hodder & Stoughton and Longman/Pearson Education, and non-publishers such as Smythson.
I am also involved in small local projects, such as compiling a monthly village magazine and concert programmes for a local choral society, and proofreading business literature for small companies.
I am a Professional Member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP), meaning that I have demonstrated a high level of competence and experience in editing and proofreading, and I have attended a number of the CIEP’s professional development courses since becoming freelance.
Location: between Leeds and Wetherby